Water as a strategic commodity
Act No. 364/2004 Coll. on waters as amended, amending Act of the National Council of the Slovak Republic No. 372/1990 Coll. on offenses as amended (Water Act), is the basic legal regulation regulating water protection.
In 2018 there was a slight increase recorded in the consumption of technological and cooling water for electricity and heat production as a result of higher year-on-year production at the Vojany Power Plant. Despite this, Slovenské elektrárne has managed to maintain a steady trend in water consumption since 2014.
In 2018, the drinking water consumption in Slovenské elektrárne saw a 19% year-on-year decrease by 57.4 ths. m3.
Waste water release
Each Slovenské elektrárne plant has been issued a basic permit by the supervisory authority, setting out the:
- Limit of the amount of released waste water and manner of waste water measurement.
- Limit of concentration and balance values for indicators of discharged pollutants in waste water.
- Place, period and frequency of waste water sampling.
Waste water analysis is provided by independent accredited laboratories.
Monitoring systems have been established in individual plants of Slovenské elektrárne to ensure protection and prevent pollution. Said systems monitor the impact of operation of individual plants on the environment. The purpose of monitoring of ground and surface water is in particular to:
- Ensure control of the impact of operation of individual plants and their surroundings on ground and surface water, being one of the environment components.
- Arrange for underlying materials to ensure regular information providing to controlling and supervisory bodies.
- Continuously obtain data on hydrological and hydrogeological condition of water in the localities of individual plants and their surroundings in order to create data sets for historical data analysis and accuracy of reference levels.